Tuesday 1 July 2014

My version of the Belcarra blouse by Sewaholic

 
 
 
THE BECLARRA
 
 
 
 
 
Anyone familiar with Sewaholic will be aware of their latest pattern - The Belcarra blouse.  One of the advantages of these patterns is that beginners can follow a sewalong - with step by step instructions, and then showcase their efforts on flickr.  I love seeing other peoples interpretations of a pattern, and they give me ideas of what I want to make.
 
 *****

 
I am wanting to increase my wardrobe of pretty blouses because they are so adaptable, being suitable for work and smart functions, or simply to dress up a pair of jeans.

Before I got to work to make mine, I copied the pattern onto Kwik Trace, and made it up as the blouse.  This enables me to see where I need to make any alterations.  For me, I made my usual sway back  and narrow chest adjustment, and also decided that I wanted it less fitted (more flattering on a middle aged figure!).


As this was my first attempt, I chose a modestly priced polyester satin which I purchased some time ago from Craftswoman fabrics.  Although drapey, it was easy to cut out and sew.  I bought the lace specifically to embellish the blouse - a guipure lace from my local fabric shop C & H Fabrics, using my £5.00 voucher for entering their sewing bee competition. 

You can see from the photographs that I applied the lace using two matching rows as a front panel and as a panel on the sleeves. 

 

Before applying the lace to the actual garment, I made a test piece.  First I tried applying it by machine, but it was too stiff - consequently my original plan to cut away the satin behind the lace had to be abandoned.  I found that by sewing the lace carefully on by hand, enabled the garment to maintain the movement and flexibility of the satin.

 
 
 I am delighted with the results.  The blouse is easy to make with clear instructions, and there are no fiddly bits such as zips or button holes. I chose not to turn up the sleeves because I did not want to cover up the lace.  It is a good project for someone new to dressmaking. 

The blouse looks pretty tucked in as seen in my photographs, or loose over a pair of trousers or jeans.  The blouse is very comfortable to wear, and nice and airy so no risk of underarm stains.  I can't wait to make some more.

Here I am modelling my blouse while on holiday in Madeira.  I wore it to have afternoon tea at Reid's Palace Hotel.




TIP: As you have to pull the blouse over your head, apply your lipstick afterwards.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment